January is so blah.
Stuck between the warmth of the Christmas season and the cuddly romance of February, it’s a cold, dark, depressing month with nary a holiday in sight. Ironically, I was born on the 27th- maybe on purpose, because I’m such a January-hater that I needed a holiday to get me through it.
I also needed a holiday to bake for, obviously. And though I’ve still got two weeks until the big day, I figured I might as well start with the birthday-themed treats now, right?
Chocolate Pretzel Birthday Bars
Inspired by Courtney’s Oreo Cream Squares
Yields 16 bars
- 2 cups salted pretzel rings, crushed
- 12 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup M&M candies
- Line the bottom of an 8×8 inch baking pan with wax paper, then grease the sides with butter or non-stick spray.
- Evenly sprinkle the bottom of the pan with crushed pretzels.
- In a saucepan over low heat, slowly warm the sweetened condensed milk until it’s hot but still touchable. Add the chocolate chips and stir until they’re completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the crushed pretzels, using a spatula to distribute it evenly. Then, garnish the top with a generous amount of M&Ms.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, or until the bars are cool to the touch and clean to cut. Cut into 16 bars and enjoy! Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What foods do you usually use to celebrate your birthday? Do you have any culinary traditions for it? I haven’t had a true birthday cake since I was 17, and this year I’m determined to have one with lots of pink frosting